Thursday, March 22, 2012

Final Leap!

So this is my last blog for the class assignment and I wanted to end it on a happy note- like how every Bollywood movie ends. Bollywood for India by the way is like how Hollywood is for America. When we international students go back home (which we will in just 7 weeks now!), we are usually faced with a stream of questions. Questions that are random, questions that are stupid, questions that make us laugh and questions that make us wonder if we are the same person who left in the first place.

Listed below are few of such questions that I usually have to answer, no matter how many times I get to go back home (there are more questions but they are written in my journal)
©All Rights Reserved by Nupur Agrawal

:
a.) You came back from US?
No. The girl standing before you exists only in silhouette.
( I mean I know you are asking it out of care* but please, don’t)

b.) Your skin tone is just the same. You didn’t become fair?!
I am so sorry that you still find me brown! I will try* that my kids aren’t. K? (Lol)

c.) What do you study there?
Liberal arts.
Oh Oh. Pretty fascinating huh?                                      
Yeah
(after a few seconds..)
Umm, what does that mean?
K

d.) So what degree will you get?
B.A.

e.) What? You went to US just to get a B.A.? That you can also get in India.
Yes. I went to US to receive a B.A. Apprently, my parents didn't want me anywhere near them where I could come home in less than 36 hours (by flight) and hence, decided to deport me to US.

f.) What?? You want to study psychology? So you will be treating insane patients, right?
Yes. I wish to study psychology. And no, I won’t be treating insane patients (except, maybe YOU!)

g.) Now I will have to behave properly while talking to you, right? You will be able to read me!
Dudeeeeeeeeeeeee.. cummon!! (As such they haven't yet taught us how to interpret a brain like yours.. )

h.) Oh, btw, now that you study psychology, tell me what am I thinking right now!!
You can act normal while talking with me. I am not a psychic reader!

i.) Now you must be finding India to be very boring, right?
You bet! You see, this is my first trip to India. I wasn't born here; I didn't grow up here; I don't have Indian best friends; I don't even hold an Indian passport; and to top that I have apparently been living in US for the past 18 years. Offcourse I find India boring.
DUH :\

j.) You must be loving America.
(This somehow is not a question but a statement.)

k.) How many years before you finish studying in US?
3 more years till I finish my bachelor degree.
Oh, then you aren’t coming back to India for sure. You will love staying there.
(This also somehow happens to be a statement! )

l.) Can you still eat spicy food?
Yes I can. I do not have to take Pepto-Bismol even when I eat the road-side pani-puri. GET IT?

m.) You still haven’t caught the American accent. (Why so?!)
Oh, I haven't? I wonder how I survived in US with my Indian* accent!! :O

I really hope that someday, people back home would understand that – people do not become fair when they arrive from US; that everyone* does not start loving US and does want to come back; that after few years of spending time in the US our appetites for the ethic food does not decrease because of the oil and spices; that getting a B.A. from US is worthy and that everyone* does not adopt the American accent. LOL

Being at Trinity has taught us that though Trinity will build us to become Trinity Tigers of the future, but never will trinity let the individuality that resides in each one of us die.
And that is why, each one of the international student is proud to be called a Tiger!

P.S. I don’t mind coming back home for every break (if my dad agrees to pay for the ticket i.e.) even if that means that I have to face each of these questions and probably more of these every time that I am back home. I am pretty sure that each one of you would agree that home is where the heart is J <3
Have a fantastic semester ahead and an awesome summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment